- Author / Illustrator: Arnold Adoff / Emily Arnold McCully
- Age Range/Level Recommendation: 3 – 8 yrs.
Summary: Poem about an interracial home. Shows what most see as normal parent child interaction.
Themes/Tags: Love, family
- Why do you think the author chose this title?
- How is your family like the one here in the poem? Different?
- How does your Mom or Dad react when you do not do as they ask?
- Color mixing – black and white, brown and white, black, brown and white
- Family chart on hair color, eye color, favorite color, favorite food…….
- Make a family house. Large paper house, glue on pictures showing family doing things. Great do at home and bring in to share activity.
Comment: I am not a big poem person, but I love this poem and why it was written. Lastest version is updated with watercolor illustrations and contemporary setting.
Good book to read if you do not have a diverse student group as if offers a chance to see differences in homes/families. Great book if you do have a mixed racial student, as they will love reading about a family like their own.
Personal / PB
The Colors of Us by Karen Katz
The Skin You Live In by Michael Tyler
Bein’ with You This Way by W. Nikola-Lisa